With time, some people keep at home things they don’t really need, and say they stay there for if they’re needed. That’s dumb and quite illogical, I think; and even believing so, I still keep some things with the “illusion” of a emotional value. The actual reason is that we feel guilty getting rid of those things.
Ok, having a bunch of useful-just-in-certain-cases things could be sometimes helpful. But memory doesn’t last that much. My memory is bad, I forget things easily, and I know some people with God’s memory, but even then, is really hard to remember they got something 4-5 years ago that might help to solve some problem now.
Ok, those are useless things. Things you bought or got in the past that you used one time because you needed it, and then, never minded. You forgot about them, but when you did remember, and you kept saying “no, I will need it”. NOOO!!! You are actually keeping them to not feel guilty because of buying or having them, to not feel stupid trying to feel you will eventually need them, so you’re acting well.
Speaking in numbers (approximations created by me), there is a 70% chance (that changes a bit according to how long ago you used it) that the object will not work, or will be useless when you get to need it. There is also a 50% of chances to forget about it and don’t remember you have it when you actually need it. And if you’re kind-hearted, there is always a 100% of chances someone will need it at some point, perhaps 60% of chances that person is near you in your circle of acquaintances, and probably 40% of chances s/he will not give it back (it kind of depends in with who you relate to).
This “problem” is actually little. I’m not saying it’s not common: it is; I’m saying that in most cases it isn’t a real problem. But even in those cases, you should try to get rid of it. How? So many ways, I can only think of one: give those things to somebody else.
Gift them, sell them, just get rid of them, not as thrash, but as something “maybe useful”… for somebody else. In some cases, people will find it useful, for anything. Obviously that depends on what it is, or how specific is the utility of it. You will find easier to give a game to some friend or kid, that to give a book about “Genetic evidence that prove Darwin was wrong”.
What does a person do with a Wii game? Play. What does a person needs to play? Nothing (perhaps the console if it’s a video game, as this is). Now, what does a person do with that book? Read and get knowledge. What does a person needs to read that? Know about the topic and surely have a solid base on it, if it’s very scientific, as surely, this is.
It may sound like you’re getting rid of your thrash giving it to other people. But remember that what is thrash for us may be a treasure for somebody else. So I’m not saying to gift them as if it were an obligation for the other part to accept and keep that object; offer it, as and option, trying to solve their problem, whatever it is. Then you’re being useful, making the thing you no longer need, useful for somebody else.
Obviously, maybe that person will experience the same as you: they’ll use it once and no more. So tell them to gift it away as they no longer need it. It’s a way to be nice to people you care about (or just to people, no tags), to get rid of unnecessary things and to not feel guilty for that: you’re making it useful, as it wasn’t before. A curious thing about this is that keeping unnecessary things is something that people often complaining about the new capitalism system and the industrialization… But that’s nothing I’m going to talk about here, so, leaving you this little article to reevaluate your life and the things you keep because of guilt.